To register for this course visit
Prometheus Introduction Video
Welcome to my course on Prometheus.
Prometheus is a very popular, remarkable and extremely capable tool for monitoring your infrastructure and applications.
This is a Learn by example course, where I demonstrate all the concepts discussed so that you can see them working, and you can try them to.
All commands entered during a lecture are included in this accompanying documentation so that you can quickly copy and paste.
Note : All commands are written by default to work on an unrestricted Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server. I recommend registering at Digital Ocean and create a minimal $5 a month Ubuntu 18.04 droplet. You will get $50 Free Credit for 30 Days to create all the VMs you will need for the duration of this course.
At the end, you will have your own working Prometheus Alerting and Monitoring System that you can call your own, ready for you you to take it to the next level.
Once again, this is a Learn by example course, with all the example commands available for you to copy and paste. I demonstrate them working, and you will be able to do that to.
You are now ready to continue.
Thanks for taking part in my course, and see you there.
- Install Prometheus Binary
- Start it as a service
- Host it behind a Reverse Proxy
- Add SSL
- Add Basic Authentication
- Install a local Node Exporter and start it as a service
- Run several Example Queries that will get increasingly more complicated
- Install a second, External Node Exporter and configure firewall rules
- Create some Recording Rules
- Create some Alerting Rules
- Install the Prometheus Alerting Manager
- Install a local send only SMTP server
- Configure Prometheus to use the Alerting Manager