Creating templates is hard work, and more often than not, somebody has already done the hard work, or part of it, for you. So, you can download templates and import them into Zabbix for use in your hosts very quickly.
The most famous source of Zabbix templates is at Zabbix Share
In this example, I will download and install a Zabbix template to Automatically check your Hosts DNS name against several blacklists.
This is a good example to use, since it will also demonstrate using ExternalScripts and Value Mapping at the same time.
- Visit https://share.zabbix.com/cat-app/misc/automatically-check-dns-blackhole-lists-dnsbl
- Download and extract the zip file
- Check your server and proxy configuration files for the ExternalScripts folder.
- Copy "check_dnsbl.sh" to your Zabbix Servers (and Proxies if applicable) ExternalScripts folder(s).
- Make the script executable:
chmod a+x /usr/local/share/zabbix/externalscripts/check_dnsbl.sh
- Create a Value Mapping in Administration -> General -> Value Mapping -> Create value map Name: IP Blacklist 0 -> Not listed 1 -> Listed
- Import the template and assign it to your host(s).